Tuesday, July 24, 2012

There's Just Something About Fog



I have been fairly active on Flickr lately. It is fun to post photos and join groups. The huge volume of pictures on Flickr is overwhelming, some excellent and some just vanilla. Recently I posted a photo that I took years ago while on a trip in Maine. It was taken on slide film so I converted it to digital by scanning the slide. The scene was one that might not have gotten any attention were it not for fog. The whole valley and road in the scene was overlaid with a gentle, but not too dense fog. After posting the picture, which I converted to Black and White, I noticed it got some attention and good comments. Then I started noticing that a lot of photos with the atmosphere provided by fog were getting attention. Then I noticed that my daughter grabbed a rather pedestrian shot I took on a local country road and used it for a screen shot on one of our computers. Again it is fog that makes the difference, as you can see below. Photographs need something to create a feeling, a story, an atmosphere, and for some pictures fog is the ticket. If I can, I try to get out with the camera whenever there is fog. Most of the time that means having the camera with me as I travel. As I have said before in this blog, it pays to keep a camera with you as much as possible. 

 Write me with questions or comments at dansphotophile@hotmail.com, or visit my web page at www.danwrayphoto.com or search DanWr on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment